London, Kingston, Woodbines Avenue
- Some secondary glazing, some A rated new double glazing
- Draught stripped
- External cladding, 50mm Kingspan Celotex
- 50mm Kingspan Celotex & 100mm mineral wool roof insulation
- One room has mechanical heat recovery system
- Condensing boiler with hw cylinder. TRVs, programmer and thermostat. Wood stove providing 5% zone 1 heating. 2 zones
- 1.23 KWpeak Photo Voltaic panels
- Low energy Lighting throughout
- Low energy appliances throughout
- Water saving devices include; harvesting rainwater and shower water
- Other measures in place; Bikes, electric bike, bike trailer. Hollow plastic tiling in shower. Thermal lining on curtains. Chimney balloon.
I have a phd in ecology and a lifetime of work in international public health. I am a founder member of TransitionTown Kingston and a winner of the green guardian s.w. London award.Motivations:
We are very concerned about climate change and about energy scarcity. As well as domestic energy, we try to change our travel and eating habits. We have reduced car use by about 80%.
1910 arts and crafts semi on three floors without cavity walls in desirable location.
PV on roof
Low energy lights and white goods
Mechanical heat recovery in bathroom
External clashing reduced gas consumption by 23-30%, still finding out exact figure. Pv panels reduced electricity consumption by about 25%, we only have small roof area available. Return on investment for pvs is 10%.
There is still much more refurbished to do!Favourite Feature:
External cladding makes house cozy