Manchester, Peveril Crescent
- Cavity wall insulation- Flank Cavity walls have 85mm of celotex u-value now 0.18 w/m2/k, front and back walls variety of solutions with average of about 0.155 w/m2/k
- Condensing boiler- 12kW system condensing boiler with zoned Honeywell evohome controls. UFH in screed downstairs. No rads in bedrooms
- Floor insulation- 150mm kingspan with 100mm up stand perimeter, u-value approx 0.12 w/m2/k
- Loft insulation- two systems used due to reduced height at eaves, equivalent of 470mm mineral wool through out. U-value 0.1 w/m2/k
- Low energy appliances
- Low energy lighting
- MVHR system- Extensive airtiughtness measures carried out throughout. Tested at 0.75 m3/m2/hr @50Pa
- Photovoltaic panels- 3.3kW system
- Solar water heating- Load diverter used to heat water from PV when generation exceeds rest of load in house
- Triple glazing (partly)
- Water saving devices- Low flow eco camel shower head, flow reduction on Kitchen tap.
After a career jet setting in the music industry became increasingly concerned about carbon foot print. Retrained through Masters in Renewables and built environment at Centre for Alternative Technology. Carry out whole house assessments on existing housing in local area. Specialise in thermography, airtightness testing, moisture issues. Also install insulation measures.Motivations:
Wanted to demonstrate what could be done in a prescribed time frame for a prescribed budget. Aimed for maximum achievable thermal and comfort performance within these parameters.
Also had concerns about air quality which were leading to allergies.
Very lightweight 1961 cavity flank wall linked detached house. Cavities had been insulated some time ago. Loft was topped up but rest of walls were very thin and extremely draughty. Nature of fabric construction led to airtightness and bridging issues which could only be addressed by very deep retrofit.
Completely gutted the property and rebuilt from inside.
Fully and continuously insulated, Triple glazing (partly), High level of Airtightness, MVHR, PV, Load diverter. UFH, Zone controlled.Benefits:
Even comfort level, Air quality improved. Modernisation. Much lower bills for increased warmth. No need to heat to above 19 degrees to achieve similar comfort.Favourite Feature:
If I had to pick one would probably be MVHR.